Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Determination

I am amazed by my daughter. I never realized the endless determination a child holds at such a young age. Every time her attempts at something new are met with failure, she gets back up and tries again. Not always immediately, not always with a smile, but she is determined to get the job done. The pride she takes in herself when she accomplishes what she set out to accomplish is so rewarding, both for her and I. Nothing fills me with warmth quite like her smile does.

I realized that this sense of determination is something that Ray and I need to foster. Will Austin meet failure? Yes of course. Will she feel defeat from this failure? Sure. The fact of the matter is she will be her own worst enemy. So a true test for us as parents is to make sure that we always support and console her in those moments of defeat, but remind her that she is capable of accomplishing whatever she wants. She will always have a support system in us as she grows up and ventures out to explore the world. So Austin, the world is yours! Go get it! :)

Determined to:

Disassemble the fridge...

Eat with her fork...

Walk in her new shoes...

Sit in her wagon...

Give Ripken a hug...

Play with Hayden...

Relax and watch Sesame...

Talk to Daddy...

Show daddy her favorite monkey...

Eat with my fork...

Empty the tupperware lid drawer...


and do things all on her own!

As I see this characteristic in my daughter, I hope to pull from it and restore my determination to get through these last few months of Ray being gone. I must say, I am not as determined and motivated as normal with things like school. Maybe I feel a little defeated by this experience. I think it is time for some rejuvenation, but I am determined to get through these classes and do well, and before we know it, rejuvenation will be here. Ray will be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment